Having your teeth professionally cleaned and examined regularly is an important part of maintaining overall health. Most problems can be averted by simply keeping up with routine dental visits.
Dental Exams in Scottsdale, AZ
A comprehensive dental examination will be performed by your Scottsdale dentist during your first visit. Dr. Karren, or our hygienist, will include the following steps at a routine visit:
- Review of digital x-rays: Check for cavities, decay, cysts, bone loss, tumors, and tooth position.
- Oral cancer screening: A visual scan of the face, lips, tongue, neck, throat, and soft tissues of the mouth for signs of oral cancer.
- Check for gum disease: Examine the gums and underlying bone for signs of periodontal disease.
- Look for signs of decay: Special tools are used to inspect each tooth, and all tooth surfaces for cavities and decay.
- Examine existing restorations: Check the condition of fillings, veneers, crowns, etc.
Professional Teeth Cleanings
Dental cleanings in Scottsdale, AZ are performed by our hygienist. A professional cleaning visit will include a dental examination and the following:
- Removal of Tartar: Calculus, or tartar, is the result of plaque that remains on the tooth for too long. As the sticky substance hardens, it becomes firmly attached to your tooth enamel. Tartar forms on tooth surfaces above and below the gum line. Only your hygienist can remove hardened plaque properly using specialized dental instruments during our dental cleanings in Scottsdale, AZ.
- Removal of Plaque: The sticky film of bacteria on teeth that can be removed by brushing is called plaque. The toxins produced by plaque bacteria can cause gum inflammation, which is the start of gum disease.
- Polishing: Tooth polishing is performed to remove stains and all traces of remaining plaque. The final process smooths tooth surfaces for a gleaming smile.